Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Censusers needed for August!

22 hectare Stoneycroft Wildlife Area, adjacent to the Morgan Arboretum in Ste-Anne-de-Bellevue

I spent an hour running the McGill Bird Observatory (MBO) census this morning, and other than a few pesky mosquitoes, I was in heaven. There are baby birds everywhere squawking for food, tons of berry bushes that will soon be teeming with hungry migrants, and even a very scruffy looking Tennesee Warbler who stopped to moult a few feathers as he continues south from the Boreal after what was hopefully a successful breeding season.

Why am I telling you this? Because the MBO desperately needs volunteers to run the census, to scribe, and to observe. August is the most difficult month in terms of finding volunteers, and the bander-in-charge (Simon Duval) is largely manning the station alone. Running the nets is time-consuming enough without having to worry about fitting the census in as well. It's one of the easiest things to do during the day and only requires knowledge of birds, the route (don't worry, we have maps!) and one hour of your time.

I'm trying to fit it in as much as I can whenever I'm in from Ottawa, and I encourage you to do the same. If you're at all interested, please e-mail  or visit the website www.migrationresearch.org/mbo.html. I promise that it'll be a tremendous experience! - Marie-Anne Hudson

No comments:

 
Nature Blog Network