Saturday, October 06, 2007

Sightings for Saturday October 6th

Boucherville, Parc de la Frayere : Looks like my "owl season " has gotten off to an early start This morning... after photographing Semipalmated Plovers along the St.Lawrence... at Ducks Unlimited.... I went for a quick look in the woods across the road ( Parc de la Frayere ). Heading back to my car ... I heard this White- breasted Nuthatch calling out non-stop... first thing I thought of... was that it had a Saw-whet.... and sure enough ... hidden way up in a cedar.. with prey... was a Saw-whet owl....I wonder if this is the first sighting in our area, this season.... Marcel had something ....when he said to keep an eye out for Saw-whets coming through !The bird was in cedars to the LEFT of the main path.... about 50 metres along the way into the woods.I took a couple of photos... but nothing special... due to the bird's hidden position. So, two Screeches and a Saw-whet for me ... in three days.. my "owl season " has gotten an early start this fall!

http://www.pbase.com/hootpix Chuck

Montreal: This morning (8 :00 – 12 :00) I visited Parc-Nature de la Pointe-aux-Prairies for the first time this fall. I thought the weather was perfect for October, with just a little bit of rain at the end of the trip.

The most interesting activity in terms of passerines was found eastof the parc: a Carolina Wren sang on and off for more than an hour in a small wooded area; many sparrows (Chipping, Song, Swamp, White-throated and White-crowned) foraged in an adjacent field, includinga sole American Tree Sparrow, my first for this fall; a Palm Warbler(with a yellow wash on the belly and drab breast) was also foraging in that same field; two Common Yellowthroats were encountered including a drab individual with no grey on the face, that might have been a first fall female; many Yellow-rumped Warblers (about20) and kinglets of both species, mostly ruby-crowned, were alsopresent. A Winter Wren, always a pleasant sighting, was found at acertain distance from this area, foraging in bushes. - Diane Demers

No comments:

 
Nature Blog Network