Saturday, November 29, 2008

Bird Protection Quebec's Field Trip Report for Saturday November 29th

Laval, bois Papineau
Several birders in Laval have told me that this has been a poor season,birdwise, all over their territory.

So I don't feel quite as bad reporting that 12 birders saw only 12 species! No owls..... except for a "wood owl" I spotted near the end of the trip. I was nearly fooled by a longish piece of bark, dangling in a small conifer....I at first took it to be a Long-eared, with its pose of compressed feathers! Right colours, right size, but alas......

Anyways ...bird of the day was the American Tree Sparrow (4). Also seen: 125 Canada Geese.... in two flights 6 Mourning Doves, 6 Downy Woodpeckers, 5 Hairy Woodpeckers, 5 American Crow, 40 Black-capped Chickadees, 6 White-breasted Nuthatch, 4 Dark-eyed Juncos, 2 Northern Cardinal, 30 House Finch, 8 American Goldfinch

Hope for better luck next time ! Chuck Kling

No comments:

 
Nature Blog Network